What a Night...
Wow... what was supposed to be a simple evening of old high school friends catching up, turned out to be significantly more eventful. Originally I had made dinner plans for this evening with my friend Christa who in turn was going to invite our other friends who are still in town. Plans changed when we remembered that our friends Bil and Tim had a gig with their band at El Mocambo. My best friend Heather mentioned that she'd be in town this weekend too and was thinking about joining us. So I called Heather around 7:45pm this evening to confirm whether or not she was coming and she told me that I had to come over. I was puzzled but did as she asked. I ran across the neighbour's driveway that's between our houses and was greeting by a beaming Heather and a living room full of family. I checked her hand for a ring thinking she had gotten engaged but didn't see one. Needless to say even though I had just anticipated the news, I was still caught off guard when she asked if I was interested in being one of her bridesmaids. I was beside myself as a hundred thoughts and feelings rushed through my mind. Hah, I even had to leave the room. I congratulated the happy couple but was still in shock and pretty much speechless. She showed me the ring and then told me that the wedding is scheduled for this upcoming August!? That's when I came back to reality... "Whoa, 5 months!?"
When I had gained some more composure, her dad busted out some champagne for a toast. Now this is a little known fact but I am what I call "alcohol-free", meaning I've never had alcohol before. Well I didn't want to have any tonight but I was highly emotional and wasn't thinking straight so after attempting to put up a fight, I finally gave in and had a sip or two (or three or four until my glass was empty). Okay, I know I'm a drama queen and this probably doesn't seem like a big deal but it's huge for me... I've had alcohol!?!? Now I'm just like everyone else. I can't claim to be alcohol-free any longer... By the way, it wasn't worth it... in my humble opinion, champagne tastes disgusting.
Okay, enough about "poor me"... we headed out to El Mocambo without Heather (and her new fiancee Josh) and had to sit/stand through three other bands before Bil and Tim were on stage. I thought the first two bands were pretty bad but the third performer was decent. Our boys put on a good show with some cover songs and two originals. Oh, by the way, their band is called AB5 or Anything But Fifth. If you want to check them out go to www.ab5.ca. It was really nice seeing my old friends again. It's been far too long...
Alright, I'm exhausted... time for bed.
Have a great weekend!
Be blessed!
Oh, and congrats again to the newly engaged couple!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home