Sooke: Population +2
Ladies and gentlemen, I finally did it. I got on a plane in Kitchener/Waterloo and flew to Victoria. It’s so surreal. I’ve been in BC for just under 48 hours. Oh man. Oh wait, some of you are probably thinking to yourself, “What? Why is she in BC?” Okay, let’s rewind for a moment or two…
After camp, I decided to stay at camp for another 3 months. It was tough at first but God affirmed time and time again that I made the right choice and that He was preparing me for something much bigger than I could ever imagine. I was blessed with countless opportunities to bless the staff and our guests. It was unbelievable and God blessed me in return. I returned home for December and worked for the Salvation Army for three weeks. I distributed toys that were collected through the Toys For Tots campaign (Toronto has Toy Mountain). Each day was filled with “God moments”. There was a mother who couldn’t afford hockey sticks for her two sons who adore hockey. She was in tears when I brought her two sticks for her boys. There was another mother with two daughters under the age of 4. I (randomly) asked if they liked kitchen stuff and she said they did. I came back with a Disney Princess kitchenette and was blown away by the story she told me… she and her daughters were at Toys R Us the day before and the girls asked if they could have the EXACT one for Christmas. She didn’t want to tell them that they couldn’t afford it. Oh man, I serve such an awesome God! I know that He made that happen. He totally cares about the little details in our lives.
While I was working for the Army, our home became a hostel for International (and local, haha) camp staff. Good times had by all!
Christmas was great. We spent much of the holidays with family and friends and eating way too much. Haha. I was sick for most of it. I kept busy with crocheting toques for my four nieces and nephews (all under 6).
Okay… so BC… last time I wrote I was planning to travel out West with my friend Terri whom I know from camp. At the end of August she was offered and accepted a job as a youth pastor at her home church. I spent the next two months (while at camp) wrestling with God – Why did He tell me to go? Was I going to go with anyone? What was I going to do when I got there? Where would I live? Could I really trust Him to take care of me? – and myself. My insecurities often got the best of me but God reminded me time and time again of His faithfulness. And guess what… God provides! Haha, of course He does. On Halloween night, Jenn, a girl that I know from camp sent me an email asking if I wanted to move out to BC with her and her best friend Heather. I met Jenn in the summer of 2002, my first summer at Muskoka Woods. We actually lived together. She returned this summer and it was like none of that time had passed. Anyway, I was excited by the prospect of driving across the country in a jeep with a U-Haul trailer with these two girls. We were planning to move to Abbotsford but had a place in Victoria as a back-up plan. However, at the end of December, my adventure took another twist. Jenn decided that moving was no longer in her best interest. I had to wait for four days to speak with Heather (whom I’d never met) to see if we were still going together. On January 4th we committed to going together and planned to leave around January 21st. On January 5 we agreed to live in the Victoria area with a friend of Heather and Jenn’s. Kyle owns a new 3-bedroom house in Sooke, which is a 25 minute drive west of Victoria. The population is 10,000+ people. On January 6th we scored a deal on cheap tickets through WestJet BUT had to leave on the 14th. This was because Kyle is in the Navy and was leaving for California on the 15th. So, I spent the next week in a whirlwind of cleaning, packing, and saying my goodbyes.
On Monday, January 14, I met Heather for the first time and we boarded that plane in Kitchener/Waterloo. The flight was great. It was like a giant rollercoaster. I was a little nauseous but the Gravol I took worked wonders! The flight attendants were hilarious. All in all, it was an amazing first flying experience… It’s too bad that I couldn’t meet the pilot and get my wings. Hahahaha.
Okay… so my first 48 hours in BC… When we landed in Victoria, Kyle was waiting for us decked out in a kiddie headband with a ghost on it, impaled in the head by candy corn, oh and holding a Grim Reaper’s staff. Hahaha. It was quite the welcome! He found our luggage and loaded up the car. We even had room to spare! The drive to Sooke was nice and quick. We arrived at the house and were blown away. When God provides, He provides. Wow. After a quick tour, which included meeting Tyler, the fourth member of the house, we moved into our rooms. Heather went to bed but I was too wired from the Gravol so I started unpacking and moving furniture. The next morning, I continued unpacking and then Heather and I made breakfast. That led into an amazing conversation about everything and anything. It’s crazy to think that we hadn’t even known each other for 24 hours yet. God certainly knew what He was doing when He put us together. In the afternoon we ventured out the house and went grocery shopping. The evening consisted of making and eating dinner and watching Pirates of the Caribbean 3.

I woke up this morning and had some awesome God time. Heather and I read two chapters of Micah together. I’m just so blown away by God. He has blessed me with a housemate who is going to encourage me and help me grow in my relationship with God. So good! We’re going exploring again today. Our mission is to find the Shopper’s Drugmart! Hah.
Anyway, I’ve gotta jet! She’s waiting for me to finish this!
Until next time, take care of yourselves and keep looking up!
Much love.
Oh! Two quick prayer requests:
- For Jeremy... He went to the specialist today and was told he'll be on crutches for another 6 weeks. It's been almost 5 months since he broke his femur.
- For employment... Heather and I are looking for work but are waiting for God to present the right opportunities. We want to go where He wants to use us. He has clearly brought us here for a reason.
Double oh! If you'd like to call me or send me snail mail, please let me know and I'll get you my new contact info!
Anyway, I’ve gotta jet! She’s waiting for me to finish this!
Until next time, take care of yourselves and keep looking up!
Much love.
Oh! Two quick prayer requests:
- For Jeremy... He went to the specialist today and was told he'll be on crutches for another 6 weeks. It's been almost 5 months since he broke his femur.
- For employment... Heather and I are looking for work but are waiting for God to present the right opportunities. We want to go where He wants to use us. He has clearly brought us here for a reason.
Double oh! If you'd like to call me or send me snail mail, please let me know and I'll get you my new contact info!

1 Comments:
ok second time I write this so if u get two of the same kinda message me it's just me and my internet /pc illeteratacy kicking in. I was just leaving a message to say that I wish you the very best in BC. That everything sounds exciting and you sound really excited... almost like you and GOd have some secret :P which is very exciting as its always good to see GOd's hand at work in our own lives...
God bless you lots! Best of luck to you!!
9:32 p.m.
Post a Comment
<< Home