Week 6
So... it's been a while since I updated this... let's see...
I spent the month of May in Minden, Ontario at Kinark Outdoor Centre completing my final placement for teachers' college. It was a huge learning experience and a huge gong show. I loved it.
I've finished teachers' college. 4.0 GPA. No seriously. I got to walk across another stage in another oversized cloak and get my picture taken. I made friends with the people sitting on either side of me and entertained myself by taking pictures to document the entire ceremony. Even though the pictures are blurry, I managed to take a snap shot of the back of each of my classmates' heads. I can't tell who any of the people are. Hahaha. In all seriousness, it was a great time.
My summer so far... before I get into that I suppose I should give you a brief background first... this summer I was supposed to stay at home in the city applying for teaching positions. Just prior to my month in Minden, I was out for lunch with my parents when I received a phone call from Chris Tompkins (the new Managing Director aka Camp Director at Muskoka Woods Sports Resort). Chris essentially offered me the position of being his new administrative assistant (organizing, scheduling, booking, running the camp... hahaha... etc). Suddenly very excited I told my parents about the conversation. Fully expecting my Mom to say that I couldn't go, I burst into tears when she said I could. She had been praying earlier that morning that God would provide me with a job. Next time she'll be more specific and pray for a teaching job!
Okay, so I'm back at camp. It's been a rollercoaster ride but I'm so happy I'm here. The first few weeks were tough. I had to adjust to a new job and had less guidance than I anticipated. The days were long as I had to attend workshops as well as prepare for the arrival of staff and kids. I found it difficult fitting in at first, not because it was difficult to make friends but because my job is unlike any other at camp. I'm not part of program, athletics, or hospitality. I'm miscellaneous I guess. Unlike my summer as a program director, I felt an overwhelming pressure to give into my perfectionist tendencies I felt like everything had to be perfect the first time around and that there was no room for error since everything I did affected the entire camp, not just a small section of staff and campers. In a nutshell, I keep the Managing Director organized and functioning. I create and prepare the majority of systems and schedules that are in place, pertaining to staff and guests. I do whatever random things my boss doesn't have time to work on but has to implement. Now that the prepation and tweaking is done, I maintain my systems throughout the summer and satisfy other responsibilities such as meet with my one on ones (I mentor three girls and have someone who mentors me), support the Hospitality staff, plan events for the Hospitality staff, babysit the boss' daughter, etc. Just this past week I've also taken up instructing golf for one period every day. It started because I was assisting a special needs guest but one of the golf instructors went home on Saturday so I'm going to keep instructing for the rest of the summer. I also instructed fitness for two days as the fitness instructor has gone to Jamaica for a family reunion. It's been so great spending time with campers again. I miss that part of camp a lot. Plus it's so rewarding seeing kids accomplish things they didn't think they could (i.e. hit a golf ball). I love it.
It's week 6. I can't believe the summer has flown by so quickly. I'm not ready for this to be over yet. I know... there's still 4 weeks... but it's going to zip by so quickly. There are so many people I've been investing in this summer and I'm not ready to say goodbye to them yet. I still don't know what I'm going to be doing in September. I'm trying to be open to what God has in store instead of worrying. There aren't very many job postings listed with the exception of French positions. I'm keeping an open mind to go wherever I'm called to go.
Speaking of God, things are good right now. I initially came into the summer not knowing how I was going to be able to pour into other people when I wasn't really feeling it myself. A number of people prayed over me, all saying that God was calling me to be obedient this summer. Whoa. Even though I wasn't feeling it, God wanted me to come to him anyway. It's been an up hill journey but things are good. I can't remember a time when I've prayed more than I am now. And it all started with some simple prayers. Prayers that I would be obedient. Prayers that God would simply give me enough strength to get through the morning and then through the afternoon and then through the evening. Prayers that I would stop trying to do everything on my own but instead to lean on others and God. Prayers that I would find things to be happy about everyday. Prayers for opportunities to bless others. Prayers for other people and their relationship with God. Prayers for everything and anything that came to my mind. And now, it's natural and beautiful again. God is working in the midst of camp and I have been so blessed to be a part of it. It amazes me how he has been answering my prayers everyday and half the time I don't even realize it. God is so good.
*sigh* It's time for bed. I hope that's enough of an update for now. If you feel compelled to keep in touch (I love getting mail!) you can reach me at:
Amanda Chan (staff)
c/o Muskoka Woods Sports Resort
P.O. Box 130
Rosseau, Ontario
P0C 1J0
Or leave a message with the office at (705) 732-4373 and I'll call you back.
I have internet access so email is okay too.
Good night! Sweetest dreams!
Final parting thoughts... love this song... we sang it in chapel this afternoon... saw Hillsongs perform it live... it makes my heart happy.
From the Inside Out
Hillsong United
A thousand times I've failed
Still Your mercy remains
And should I stumble again
I'm caught in Your grace
Everlasting
Your light will shine when all else fades
Never ending
Your glory goes beyond all fame
Your will above all else
My purpose remains
The art of losing myself
In bringing You praise
Everlasting
Your light will shine when all else fades
Never ending
Your glory goes beyond all fame
In my heart and my soul
Lord I give You control
Consume me from the inside out
Lord let justice and praise
Become my embrace
To love you from the inside out
Everlasting
Your light will shine when all else fades
Never ending
Your glory goes beyond all fame
And the cry of my heart
Is to bring You praise
From the inside out
Lord my soul cries out

1 Comments:
Yeah!!! So happy you are bloggin again... or at least updating your blog. Love you and miss you soooo much!
5:58 a.m.
Post a Comment
<< Home