My Year At A Glance…
Alright… I’m sure many of you are wondering where the heck I am right now and what I’m doing there so allow me to explain…
I’m working at Muskoka Woods Sports Resort. Still. I arrived at camp in June as the Administrative Assistant to the Managing Director of Summer Operations (aka Camp Director). Midway through the summer, I started thinking/panicking about what September had in store for me. Full time teaching contract? LTO? Supply work? After much prayer and deliberation I decided that settling into a teaching position at a school just wasn’t in the cards for me. Yet. And settling is exactly what I would be doing. You see, I feel like I’ve sort of fallen into this logically ‘scripted’ sequence of events known as my life… high school, uni, post-grad, work, etc. Am I making any sense? I’ve never really stopped to think about it, never mind challenge it. So anyway I found myself seriously questioning if this is really all that God has in store for me. Okay wait, I’m starting to sound like I don’t really want to be a teacher. That’s totally not the case. I do. But not yet. I just feel like I need to take a break to reassess where my life is headed. And if I don’t take the break now, I fear that I’ll continue following my script and I won’t pursue some of the other things that I want to accomplish in life.
Okay, so back to the present. Like I mentioned earlier, I’m still working at Muskoka Woods. Why this place and not another? Because for whatever reason, God has a way of speaking to me while I’m in this place. Every time I come back here, whether it’s a weekend or a summer, He teaches me something profound. This summer was all about me trying to be obedient to God and learning to trust Him; with every aspect of my life. And I pretty much suck at trusting God. Oh my heck, the prospect of not knowing what the future holds terrifies me but for the first time in my life I’m becoming comfortable with not knowing. I’m actually starting to revel in it because it forces me to take a leap of faith and trust God’s plan for my life. At the start of the summer my focus was on being obedient to spend time with Him even when I wasn’t feeling it. The more in tune I became with God’s will and His voice, the more obvious it became that I needed to focus on being obedient to His promptings. God used me in amazing and powerful ways to bless, encourage, and comfort both staff and guests this summer. And I don’t think He’s done with me being here yet!
Oh, I almost forgot! You’re probably wondering what I’m doing here! Well, I’m part of the Fall Outdoor Recreation staff. That basically means that I facilitate/teach team building and athletic activities for school groups and church groups (I’m putting both of my degrees to good use! Haha). I was on the Spring ORec staff in 2005 so the job has been easy enough to pick up again. The staff is nice and small. There are about 20 of us. I’m excited!
The rest of my year is still kind of up in the air but here’s what I’m hoping to do… My contract ends at the beginning of December so I’m going back home to Mississauga for the rest of the month. In January, I’m planning to head out to BC until May. I’m not sure what I’ll be doing out there but I’m hoping to drive back to Ontario for the start of camp in June. I’ll be doing the same job again. I don’t know a lot of the details yet so I’ll just have to wait and see what God has in store for me. I guess that’s what this whole thing is about… Waiting on God, trusting God, becoming the person He wants me to be while and fulfilling the purpose He has for my life. Yikes.
A huge thank you to everyone who has been praying for me and with me about all of this. You know who you are :) An massive thank you to my parents and brother who have been incredibly supportive and understanding. I love you all.
Okay so I think that’s about it for now. I hope I’ve satisfied your questions. If not, please don’t hesitate to ask me for further clarification. Please keep in touch! I’d love to hear from you!
Much love. Tons of hugs.
~ Amanda
Prayer requests:
- For waiting… I’ve entered a spiritual season of waiting. I’m not good at waiting. I’m waiting for God to reveal his plan for me, specifically for my time in BC. I’m waiting for new relationships to start and existing ones to develop further.
- For my brother… Jeremy broke his femur two weeks ago while teaching trampoline. His surgery was a success and he is recovering well. However, he is clearly limited in mobility and he is currently absent from his 4th year of uni.

3 Comments:
Jerms broke his femur? Dang. that has to hurt. Ouch - what's the recovery schedule/timeline like with that one? And so this is why I haven't seen either of you in ages! Have fun in Muskoka!
7:40 p.m.
Sorry to hear about Jeremy - my brother broke his femur playing hockey (he was 42 at the time!) Lots of pins and healing time but he is OK now and Jeremy is much younger. Glad to hear that everything is working out for you. There is lots of time for you to do what you feel God calling you to. Muskoka Woods, BC, teaching. Don't we all 3 or 4 occupations now in our lives? I'm living proof of that. Praying for you. I'm sure you will continue to receive direction. Cathie Koehnen
7:24 a.m.
you wrote: "logically ‘scripted’ sequence of events known as my life…""
. ..i *totally*, 100% know what you mean. missed you two weeks ago, i saw you and then i didn't see you :( in any case -- i hope and i pray that God would speak to you while you're up there :)
can we come visit. .!!? :)
10:16 a.m.
Post a Comment
<< Home