In open fields of wild flowers she breathes the air flies away. She thanks her Jesus for the daisies and the roses in no simple language. Someday she'll understand the meaning of it all. He's more than the laughter or the stars in the heavens. As close as a heartbeat or a song on her lips. Someday she'll trust him and learn how to see him. Someday he'll call her and she will come running, fall in his arms, the tears will fall down and she'll pray "I want to fall in love with you". Jars of Clay

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Blitzen At The Door

* A detailed account of the "Aussie Invasion" is on the way. Sorry for the delay! *

Blitzen at the Door
by John Fischer

We have a little twelve-pound Chihuahua that was my wife's Christmas present a year ago. I grimaced when I found out, a few days before Christmas, that this was what she really wanted. I was of the persuasion that real dogs are supposed to be big, but I now have to admit, this little addition to our family has brought us much joy and has become a source of boundless entertainment. Not hurting for personality, he prances about with an air of respectability that makes you not want to embarrass him by laughing in his face until you remember he is a dog and probably won't take it personally. He has a little wrinkled brow that provides a serious addition to the humor of his antics. We called him Blitzen because we heard he was a reindeer-head Chihuahua and he came to us at Christmastime, but Reepicheep, the serious little mouse in the Chronicles of Narnia would also suit his character well.

Lately, Blitzen has taken to exhibiting a strange behavior that has him refusing to come in the front door, as if some invisible force is preventing him from entering the house. It works the same way going out. He will stop short of the door and no amount of coaxing will get him across the threshold. We have to pick him up and carry him.

It's both comical and pathetic to watch him sitting there whining and shaking with desire to cross, but completely unable to overcome whatever unseen barrier it is that he imagines. You can get down on your hands and knees as little as two feet away, and beg him to come to you, but he won't. Perhaps some bad experience -- whether getting caught in the door or slipping on the floor just inside -- has become frozen in his memory, but he cannot shake it.

I am convinced God has given us pets to see the silly things we do, and in this case, I can't help but see my own fears when he does this. What are those thresholds in my life that I can't cross because of some imaginary fear or bad experience from the past that haunts me? More often than not, our fears are just like this -- invisible barriers to faith that keep us from moving on in our lives. Satan is a real force, and he can set difficult things in our paths, but I rather think that most of the time he locks us up in the smoke and mirrors of our imaginations.

If Blitzen would just take one step out, he would find there is nothing to fear, and not only that, there are strong, loving hands waiting for him on the other side. In such situations, our moving ahead in faith (and finding the same results, I might add) isn't any more complicated than that.

John Fischer is the Senior Writer for Purpose Driven Life Daily Devotionals. He resides in Southern California with his wife and son. John is also a published author and songwriter.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

thanks Amanda - I really needed to read that one. I'm experiencing my own barriers that have been really overwhelming, when at the same time there is nothing really to fear because God will provide for us. I hope you had a nice Christmas with your family and that you're doing better. Much love,

Julie H.

12:12 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home