Oh, Duty Free...
Oh wow... what a weekend! It all began on Friday morning when I met up with Nicole to go swimming. Well... we didn't go swimming. A public school had rented out the pool for the morning. Instead we just got caught up and had a lunch date. Good times. In the afternoon, Trisha came down from Mississauga to visit me. Earlier that week we had confirmed our plans to hit up Niagara Falls and perhaps go over the border since I hadn't been over since I was like, 8. So we left for Niagara around 6pm and wandered around looking at both the Falls and the Christmas light displays. Hurray for free parking when it really costs $12!! Around 8pm we decided to head out but I asked if we could stop by duty free before leaving as I had never been inside one. Okay, okay, so I know it's not a big deal but I was curious. So we get inside and a saleswoman informed us that we couldn't actually buy anything because we were Canadian and that we'd have to go over the border to shop. That was fine since I just wanted to look around and had no intention of buying anything. And I certainly had no plans for going over the border just to check out the American duty free. Well isn't life ironic... we got into the car and drove around trying to find an exit. We finally found one but to our horror realized that it led us over the Rainbow Bridge and right into Buffalo!?! We were unable to turn around and go back so we had to keep driving... over the bridge... to customs... the attendant asked for our ID and then proceeded to question us for what must've been 5 minutes about where we were born, where we worked/went to school, how we knew each other, whose car we were in, etc. He also asked how long we were planning to be in the States for, at which point we regaled him with our story about duty free and coming over by accident. I think we entertained him because he poked fun at me and suggested that we go for dinner, or go shopping, or go to DUTY FREE (hah, NO) "where everything is duty free". But we just wanted to go "home to Canada". So he let us go and we found ourselves back on the bridge heading to Canada only to discover that you have to pay $3.50 to get into the country!?! Oh my heck!! We were appalled that we actually had to pay to get into our own country, especially since we had only been in the States for 2 minutes. We then had to wait for the huge line-up of Americans to go through customs (hmm... there was no one going to the US...). We finally got to customs where we were asked to state out citizenship and how long we had been over the border to which we replied, "Canadian. Oh... about 2 minutes... would you like to hear a funny story about duty free...". Again, we managed to entertain another customs attendant. Then we were off, back home to Mississauga, for a well-deserved dinner of chocolate chip cookies and ice cream! So... that pretty much sums up my "duty free" adventure and my first "trip" back to the States in approximately 13 years. Good times! Thanks Trisha! Love ya!
Saturday was less eventful but extremely satisfying. I had watched a movie and slept over at Trisha's. I went home in the morning to study for a bit before heading out to my much anticipated camp reunion. I arrived early to help set things up but since I didn't let anyone know I'd be coming (I didn't know until the day before), I was locked out of the church. I finally got into the building, helped with set-up and then waited for the campers and staff to arrive. I could barely sit still I was so excited!! As each new person arrived, I got more and more excited! Aquafina finally arrived and I don't know if it was the shock of seeing her after 4 months or if it was just all the excitement of seeing everyone again but the tears just started to pour down my checks. Hah, I felt so silly but hey, she's my CO! It was so good to see everyone! Oh my co-co's!! And the rest of the staff! [Note to staff: We really need to get reconnected!! Who's going to Thumbalina's?] I wish more of my girls had been able to come but I'm so grateful for the 12 or so who were there! It was great seeing the other Team Batman kids too! Again, good times!
Sunday night was my former camp's staff reunion (I worked there for two and a half weeks this summer). Can we say awkward? Yeah, I mean it's one thing to work on a staff of 250+ for the whole summer and then go to the party but it's another thing to work with them for less than three weeks and then go to the same party. In any event, I said my hellos and surrounded myself with good company so the night didn't drag on as much as I guess it could have. Thanks Jeremy, Kenneth, Nathaniel, and Robyn! Much appreciated!!
I'm heading back to St. Kits tonight and I'm bringing my brother with me since Joyce has gone home. Two more exams and I'll be free but I'm at a point where academics are so far from my mind that it's going to take every ounce of self-discipline (which I sorely lack) to sit down and study. *sigh* talking about academics, I should get back to work... I've procrastinated far too much today. Oh, if you could, I'd really appreciate some prayers lifted up on my behalf for these last two exams... Tuesday 12-3pm and Wednesday 8-11pm. I'm trying really hard to stay on track but I am so distracted right now. Thanks! God bless ya!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home