Only One You
My mind is racing. There is so much going on right now. My second practicum block starts on Thursday. I've spent 6 days with my new students and though they are much different from my first group of kids, I'm learning to love them. I don't know what God has in store for me this time but I know that whether it's ups or downs, He's going to be with me every step of the way.
I've confirmed my internship site. I'll be at Kinark Outdoor Centre for the month of May. If you get the chance, check out www.koc.on.ca. I'm so excited!!
Trisha and I are planning a trip for March Break because she's leaving for Switzerland on April 2nd and will be gone for 9 months. We're holding out for a cheap, all-inclusive deal PLUS my passport is still being processed and is scheduled to arrive at the end of the month. Fingers crossed!!
Muskoka Woods just revealed its program leadership for this summer and I'm trying to stay positive about not returning this summer. But it's hard. I'm going to miss the staff and kids and most of all the camp itself. It's my home away from home. This will be the first time since I was 7 that I won't be at camp. It breaks my heart. I have to trust that God has things in store for me here in the city.
* * *
Today's Prayer
~ Os Hillman
Father, Though I may speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and do not have love, I am like clanging brass or a thinkling cymbal. And whatever gift I have and if I have enough faith that I could move mountains, if I do not have love, I am nothing. And if I were to give all my goods to feed the poor, or give my body to be martyred, if I do not have love, it would be meaningless. Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy nor is it prideful nor conceited nor selfish. Love is not easily provoked nor does it think evil. It does not rejoice in iniquity, but in the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love does not fail. My loving Father, I love You because You first loved me and Your love does not fail. I love You because of Who You are. I love You because of all You have done and all You continue to do for me and my loved ones. I pray that I will always have love for others and show that love in meaningful ways. I pray that I will be patient and understanding. I pray that I will never think of myself as an better than another person, for we are all made in Your image. I pray that Your love will move through me and touch the lives of those around me. I thank You this day for Your many gifts of love...especially for the greatest gift of all, my Savior Jesus Christ, in whose name I come to You. Amen.
(Adapted in part from 1 Corinthians 13.)
* * *
Only one you
By John Fischer
Mister Rogers was right after all: There is only one you. But this information is much more important than to just be boosting your self-esteem. It is to help you better serve others by being more confident about your God-given role in life.
No one else fits your shape. No one else has your blend of gifts, talents, and natural abilities - making you very important in the whole scheme of things. "God made our bodies with many parts," wrote Paul, "and he has put each part just where he wants it." (1 Corinthians 12:18) And as it is with the human body, so it is with the Body of Christ - the corporate collection of all who believe.
But this uniqueness goes beyond giftedness; it reaches as well into the depth of each of our experiences in life. No one else has your life. No one else has your pain, your hardship, your joys and sorrows. Everything in life shapes us and we are shaped by everything for a reason - so that we can touch others in a unique way based upon who we are and what we've been through. God doesn't waste anything in our lives.
Every piece of our lives and experiences can be used of Christ to touch someone else. We were made for each other; we live for each other; we even die for each other. We die with hope so that others who live might see the reality of Christ in even the darkest of hours. God uses everything.
Are you just getting by, or are you living for a reason? Think about your unique gifts and ask yourself how those gifts are benefiting others. What specific way is God using you to touch others in the Body of Christ? Do you seem to have an extra measure of wisdom, or mercy, or discernment, or knowledge, or administration, or desire to serve? These will help determine how you can look for opportunities to help others.
And then think about the things you have gone through so far in your life - especially the difficult or challenging things where God has met you with his presence and power. That information is not just for you, it's for you to empathize with and encourage others who have encountered similar struggles.
God isn't messing around here. There are no accidents with our lives. Whatever we have received and experienced has shaped who we are, and because of that, we are qualified servants. There is truly no one else like you for a reason.
John Fischer resides in Southern California with his wife, Marti and son, Chandler. They also have two adult children, Christopher and Anne. John is a published author and popular speaker.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home