In open fields of wild flowers she breathes the air flies away. She thanks her Jesus for the daisies and the roses in no simple language. Someday she'll understand the meaning of it all. He's more than the laughter or the stars in the heavens. As close as a heartbeat or a song on her lips. Someday she'll trust him and learn how to see him. Someday he'll call her and she will come running, fall in his arms, the tears will fall down and she'll pray "I want to fall in love with you". Jars of Clay

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Why Worship?

I love my placement school! My Associate teacher, Ms. Gage, is fantastic and the kids are so great! Oh my heck... score!! A lot of my classmates were complaining about their first day at their school... I almost felt guilty about my raving reviews! Hah, I felt totally at home. I spent the morning observing math and language arts lessons. The afternoon was filled with PE. Hurray! I helped out with soccer drills... note to self: dress shoes and soccer do NOT mix!! Oh man, I love it! I'm still feeling nervous about math but Ms. Gage says I can tackle that subject towards the end of my practicum. *phew* I'm feeling great, great, great!! Thanks God!!

Why worship?
by John Fischer

I will worship God today, because it is good and right to do so.

I will worship God today, not because of what it will do for me, or because it is popular, or because it is Sunday, or because I like the worship music, but for the simple reason that I was made to do this. To worship God is what I am here for.

Worship is not an asset. It is not an added benefit to my life like working out or taking vitamins. Nor is it a secret formula that will add a deeper dimension to my life. Worship is the air I breathe. It is the blood pumping through my veins. It is the cells in my body that reproduce and keep me alive for this. Everything else I do is extemporaneous. To worship God is the root of my being.

Remember the pet rock craze? Or canned air? Or rain in a jar? Or anything else so basic that someone tries to make a buck off of packaging, in a clever way, what everyone already has for the taking? Certain aspects of worship today have become so popular that it sometimes seems like it’s being packaged and sold. That’s not worship. Worshiping God is a state of mind that is accessible to all of us all the time. It is not a means to an end; it is the end itself.

The Westminster Catechism says that the “chief end” of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. That’s another way of saying it is the most important thing we were created to do. And if it’s that important, then it is accessible to everybody, all the time.

The Lord our God is one God, and we will love him and worship him because of who he is and who we are. It is good and right to do so. It is arrogant not to do so. We are his creatures; he is the creator. We are the sheep of his pastures; he is the shepherd. We are mere people; he is God. To do anything but worship him is to inadvertently put us in his place, and I don’t think anyone really wants to be there.

By the way, we are not the only ones worshiping. The psalmist says that the trees of the field clap their hands, the mountains break forth into singing, and the heavens are constantly declaring the glory of God.

That's a heck of a lot of noise going on out there, if we could just hear it.

John Fischer resides in Southern California with his wife, Marti and son, Chandler. They also have two adult children, Christopher and Anne. John is a published author and popular speaker.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

so great to hear that you really enjoy your placement!! Grade 7/8 is such an interesting age to work with! They are becoming more independant, and this is a great time to positively influence their thinking and getting them to realize their potential. I'm sure after working with Senior High kids this summer, God has prepared you with the different challenges that come with that age. And you are more than competant and capable of working with teens (and pre-teens!) I found math to be scary to teach too, but it truly helped to be at least one or two lessons ahead of the kids and actually (physically) do their homework, it will help you understand the different problems you had with the material and how you went about solving it. That way you can then learn how best to help your students when they have questions. I hope to see you next Friday! love ya.

9:22 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home