Up In Flames
Alright... It's almost lunch but I need to post about this or else I'm going to forget... and this definitely needs to be documented...
Last night I was driving my brother up to the male leadership trailers to pick up some of his stuff for the evening. When we got up to the trailers, I stopped to let him off and then proceeded to do a three point turn in my golf cart. As I was reversing, this cloud of what I thought was dust surrounded me. Problem was it smelled really bad... kinda like something burning and the "dust" was increasing, not settling. Jeremy came back out and commented on the smell and SMOKE... He looked underneath the cart (which I was still sitting on) and said something along the lines of "YOUR GOLF CART IS ON FIRE!! GET OFF!!" So I jumped off it and ran behind the trailer. Despite the fact that I freaked out a "little bit" I was surprisingly very calm when I radio'd the office and told them that my golf cart was on fire (at this point, only the liquid dripping out was on fire). They were confused and asked if I actually said that it was on fire and I said "YES". (hahaha). So at this point I was yelling for help and at least a dozen leadership guys came out to investigate the noise I was making. Two guys pushed the cart away from the trailers into an open field. When they opened up the seat where the gas tank and battery are located, flames leapt out of the compartment. Seeing the fire and thinking about the possibility that the cart could have blown up with me sitting on it, I went into shock... a long walk back through camp and to the Health Care Centre with Jeremy cracking jokes the whole way (as well as a mug of hot chocolate at the HCC) was just what I needed.
Praise God for His timing. Earlier that evening, I was frustrated that the golf cart I'm supposed to be using this week had driven away on me so I had to use someone else's cart to transport guests. My cart could have caught on fire with guests either on it or near it. Praise God, that I was done work for the evening and that we didn't have any emergencies last night. Praise God that Jeremy and I were safe. Praise God that my golf cart didn't blow up.
Hah... okay in other news... the last two weeks have been incredibly busy and stressful. For the first four weeks of camp I worked on program with Sarah, while Greg dealt with guests and parents and camp issues in general. Well, Greg wanted a change so I said that I would go on radio so that he could try programming. Ironically, I caught a cold and felt like death... perhaps a bit of an exaggeration but I was really sick. So Saturday is a busy day because our kids leave in the morning and the next group arrive in the afternoon. My main responsibility is to locate missing luggage and escort late arrival guests to their cabins. Fine, not a big deal. Sunday is spent running around all day (literally, the cart that is assigned to me while I'm on radio likes to drive away on me) dealing with guest and parent issues. My day seriously runs from about 7:45am-10pm on Sundays. So that night I was just exhausted and still sick so I took the remaining cough medicine that I had from leadership training (back in June) when I was also deathly ill for over two weeks. Anyway, I was congested and having difficulty breathing so I took my inhaler. BAD IDEA!! Within minutes, my heart rate jumped to 146 beats per minute - uh, it's supposed to be between 70-90. Yikes! Health Care kept me up until 2am. So yeah, note to self... don't ever do that again!!

1 Comments:
Your golf cart was on FIRE?!?! what the heck?! I'm so amazed at God's timing and how you were able to find out about it and where you were when it happened!
That's too bad you've been having to visit the Health Care Centre so much.. I hope you're feeling better! It sounds like your job has you being incredibly busy, but at the same time you sound like you are handling it well. I knew you could! Hang in there.. summer is almost over :) love Julie
5:46 p.m.
Post a Comment
<< Home