In open fields of wild flowers she breathes the air flies away. She thanks her Jesus for the daisies and the roses in no simple language. Someday she'll understand the meaning of it all. He's more than the laughter or the stars in the heavens. As close as a heartbeat or a song on her lips. Someday she'll trust him and learn how to see him. Someday he'll call her and she will come running, fall in his arms, the tears will fall down and she'll pray "I want to fall in love with you". Jars of Clay

Monday, October 10, 2005

A Fine-tuned Instrument

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving! Mine was really busy, a little dramatic but overall, a good time.

* * * * *

I used to play piano. I don't know how many people know that about me. I played for thirteen long years. It started off as something that I loved to do. My dad played piano. I wanted to be just like him. But as the years went on, my love for the piano faded. I hated practicing and began to resent the fact that I had to continue playing. I finally quit when I went off to University. I haven't really played since... I don't think I even touched one during my entire first year. It's ironic, because now, from time to time, I actually miss being able to play. I envy those who can. But I've lost a lot of my training. If I wanted to pick it up again, I probably could but it would be incredibly frustrating. It would be an uphill battle and it would take a lot of hard work and discipline but I could do it.

My history with the piano is kind of like my walk with God. I believed in Him because my parents did and I wanted to be just like them. I loved God and I loved spending time with Him. But as the years went on I started finding that things weren't so easy and I actually had to keep learning and "practice" what I knew. There were times when I just wanted to be "free" from what I felt were restrictions. I didn't want to follow all the rules. I walked away. I tried to do things on my own because of course, I knew best. But being on my own got lonely and I began to crave what I had before. Slowly and with much hesitation, I began shuffling, then walking, then running back towards God. It's been frustrating. It's been an uphill climb. It's taken a lot of hard work and discipline. But it's been completely worth it. I still go through a lot of ups and downs but God is by my side. He's always been there. He's holding my hand, helping me, guiding me. He's carrying me when I can't walk another step. He's busting out dance moves like you've never seen before.

* * * * *

A Fine-tuned Instrument
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

by Os Hillman

...I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on My name and I will answer them; I will say, "They are My people," and they will say, "The Lord is our God." ~ Zechariah 13:9


My business career has been as an owner of an advertising agency. Over the years, I have had the privilege to work on many different and prestigious accounts. One of those accounts was Steinway Pianos, the maker of the world's finest pianos. Each piano has always been made from scratch; it takes over a year to make one Steinway. The most impressive scene as I toured the manufacturing plant was the place where the soundboard is stretched to its maximum tolerance and allowed to sit for an extended period until it remains in the curved design. This was done in an off-to-the-corner part of the plant. If the wood were alive, it would be crying out for mercy.

After an extended time of stretching, the wood will never spring back to its original state. It is permanently changed. The piano is becoming a fine-tuned instrument. After this process takes place, the next step requires another point of stress. It takes 11 tons of pressure on a piano to tune it. Each step in the process moves the piano closer to a finished product that will ultimately be played by the world's finest musicians. These musicians desire a particular sound that only a piano like this can make.

God looks at each of us as a fine-tuned instrument. However, we begin as rough wood that He desires to transform into gold. Tuning us requires certain experiences that will stretch our faith, our frame, and our very life. Sainthood springs out of suffering. If we can stand the strain of this intense process, we will come forth as gold-as a sweet-smelling offering to our Maker. When we are in the midst of these times, it feels like fire. It is painful to be stretched beyond our perceived limits, but the Lord knows this is necessary for us to become an instrument that can play a beautiful song that others will seek after.

Let the master Craftsman have His way in your life today. You will be pleased with the instrument He fashions.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© Copyright 2000 Os Hillman. www.marketplaceleaders.org
To contact author: os@marketplaceleaders.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home