West49 Canadian Open
I spent the weekend at the Hershey Centre for the West49 Canadian Open where I was representing Muskoka Woods. We set up a mini skatepark in the parking lot and an information booth inside. I loved chatting with the parents and getting enthusiastic with the skaters - especially the tiny ones!! I actually saw very little skateboarding but that's fine because I preferred talking with prospective and current clientele.
Oh free stuff... isn't that what these venues are all about? How much stuff can you get your hands on that you don't actually want or need. There wasn't much to pick up but I managed to get a few things here and there. Now that I think about it, I DID get into the event for free and got to wear a "vendor's pass" which came with certain privileges - oh man, I felt sooooo cool! hahahaha... "Are these free?"... I was asked that way too often this weekend... hope I don't have to hear it again for a long time...
One of my favourite moments happened while I was in line at the DCshoes booth waiting for an autograph. There were two little guys standing in front of me that I recognized from our skatepark. They were excitedly talking about the skatepark and how they really wanted to go back later in the afternoon. While talking, they looked back at me a few times. Finally one of them exclaimed, "Hey, are you that girl??" To which I replied, "What girl?"
"The girl from the skatepark!!"
"Hah, yeah, that's me."
"Whoa, what are you doing here?"
"Getting an autograph."
"Whoa, that's so cool! Is she any good? Does she like her fans?"
"I think she's pretty good if she's signing autographs and I hope she's nice to her fans since we're waiting in line to see her."
"Awesome!! We're going back to the park later!"
"Great, Maybe I'll see you guys out there!"
Hahahaha, I kind of felt like a celebrity!
Later on I made an "Autographs Here" sign for Jeremy and I but he wouldn't let me put it on our table.
My other favourite moment(s) would have to be learning some tricks on a softtrucks board (trucks = metal piece connecting board and wheels... softtrucks = rubber piece and rubber "wheels") . I almost "mastered" the Shove-It, Manual, and Nose-Manual. I attempted to learn the Ollie and Casper. That probably doesn't mean anything to you... it didn't mean anything to me until Saturday. Now I'm so proud!!
Alright... back to my thesis...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home