Why Worry When You Can Meditate?
I've been wasting a lot of time worrying, especially during these last few weeks. I've been worrying about a lot of things that are so much bigger than me and out of my control. I'll spare you the details but if you could, please keep me in your prayers. There's a lot on my plate right now and it's only a matter of time before it all comes crashing down. It may have already started...
I'm trying to trust God but it's hard. It's always been hard for me. I know that in the end everything will work out the way it's supposed to but at this current moment... *sigh* I just don't know.
This was today's devotional... ironic...
Why Worry When You Can Meditate?
by John Fischer
Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. (Psalm 1:1-2)
I'm a chronic worrier. I come from a long line of worriers. A good deal of my conscious time is taken up with the act of worrying. According to Rick Warren, this means I would be good at meditation.
Meditation is focused thinking. It is not just for monks and clerics. David said that he loved to meditate day and night on the word of God. Now this was also while he was running a kingdom, fighting a perpetual enemy on the battlefield, and at times, running for his life. He didn't have a lot of time to sit with his legs crossed and go "Ommmmmm." That kind of meditation is meant to clear the mind of all thoughts. Biblical meditation is thinking focused on a particular aspect of God, a part of God's word, or a reminder of what He has done for you.
Worry is focused thinking as well. It's focused on what I can't answer or solve about my situation. Worry, at least for me, is returning over and over again to a place where I am stuck. I must somehow negatively feed on that little flutter of panic each time I follow a path of worry to the same hopeless conclusion. These are thoughts that accompany me throughout the day. I don't sit down to worry. Worry is nagging negativity.
It would stand to reason that if I can do this kind of professional worrying while I go about my tasks for the day, then I could choose to meditate on God's word instead. Worry is usually all about what you can't do anything about anyway. It's never productive. Imagine all that attention turned to God and His truth.
I have a feeling that if I learned to turn my chronic worrying into meditation, then when I did actually sit down to do something about those things I'm tempted to worry about, I might be in a much better frame of mind to find a solution.
Try it today. If you catch yourself worrying, turn your thoughts instead to God and His word. Take a portion of scripture and turn it over and over in your mind. Remember what God has done for you. Be thankful. Why worry when you can meditate?
John Fischer is the Senior Writer for Purpose Driven Life Daily Devotionals. He resides in Southern California with his wife and son. John is also a published author and songwriter.

1 Comments:
I totally know what you mean about learning to trust in God. He's been calling me to just trust himn to take care of my needs lately, and it's so hard. Advice I am frequently given is to start trusting in the smaller things, and ask God to show you how to give Him those bigger things. You're in my prayers!
3:42 p.m.
Post a Comment
<< Home